1 a mutually agreed delay in the date set for the completion of a job or payment of a debt; "they applied for an extension of the loan"
2 act of expanding in scope; making more widely available; "extension of the program to all in need"
3 the spreading of something (a belief or practice) into new regions [syn: propagation]
4 an educational opportunity provided by colleges and universities to people who not enrolled as regular students [syn: extension service, university extension]
5 act of stretching or straightening out a flexed limb [ant: flexion]
6 a string of characters beginning with a period and followed by one to three letters; the optional second part of a PC computer filename; "most applications provide extensions for the files they create"; "most BASIC files use the filename extension .BAS" [syn: filename extension, file name extension]
7 the most direct or specific meaning of a word or expression; the class of objects that an expression refers to; "the extension of `satellite of Mars' is the set containing only Demos and Phobos" [syn: reference, denotation]
8 the ability to raise the working leg high in the air; "the dancer was praised for her uncanny extension"; "good extension comes from a combination of training and native ability"
9 amount or degree or range to which something extends; "the wire has an extension of 50 feet" [syn: lengthiness, prolongation]
10 an additional telephone set that is connected to the same telephone line [syn: telephone extension, extension phone]
11 an addition to the length of something [syn: elongation]
- /ɪkˈstɛnʃən/, /Ik"stEnS@n/
- The act of extending or the state of being extended; a stretching out; enlargement in breadth or continuation of length; increase; augmentation; expansion.
- That property of a body by which it occupies a portion of space (or time, e.g. "spatiotemporal extension")
- Capacity of a concept or general term to include a greater or smaller number of objects; -- correlative of intension.
- A written engagement on the part of a creditor, allowing a debtor further time to pay a debt.
- The operation of stretching a broken bone so as to bring the fragments into the same straight line.
- An exercise in which an arm or leg is straightened against resistance.
- A simple offensive action, consisting of extending the weapon arm forward.
- A numerical code used to specify a specific telephone in a telecommunication network.
act of extending or the state of being extended
- Finnish: laajennus, laajentaminen
- German: Ausdehnung, Erweiterung
- Japanese: 拡張, 拡大, 伸展, 延長
anatomy: that property of a body by which it occupies a portion of space
- German: Ausdehnung
- Japanese: 伸展
semantics: capacity of a concept or general term to include a greater or smaller number of objects
- Czech: extenze
- German: Ausdehnung
- Japanese: 範囲, 限度
finance: written engagement on the part of a creditor
- German: Verlängerung
- Japanese: 猶予, 延期, 延長
medicine: operation of stretching a broken bone
- Japanese: 牽引
weightlifting: an exercise
fencing: a simple offensive action, consisting of extending the weapon arm forward
telecommunication: phone extension number
- Japanese: 内線
Extension may refer to:
- Extension (kinesiology), a movement of a joint in which one part of the body is moved away from another.
- Extension (metaphysics), the property of taking up space
- Extension (semantics), the set of things to which a property applied
- Extension (mathematics); an extension of some structure is another structure which contains the original structure
- Extension (geology)
- Extension (telephone), an internal telephone line attached to a PBX or Centrex system
- Software extension, a computer program that is not useful in its own right but designed to be incorporated in another piece of software
- Filename extension, a suffix to the name of a computer file applied to show its format
- Tension (physics)
- Extension (community development), the building of community capacity by outsiders, for instance, agricultural extension
- Extension (cheerleading), a stunt in which a flyer is held in the air by the bases' fully extended arms
- Extension, the classical name for the Mc1r gene.
- Extension (music), a set of notes that fit outside the standard range
- Extension, BC is a small former coal-mining village near Nanaimo, BC, Canada
- Enamel extension in dentistry
- Extension cable
- Extensive property, in physics, a property which depends on the system size or the amount of material in the system
- Extension school, a school for continuing education
- Hair extensions, strands of hair added to supplement a person's existing hair
- Eyelash extensions
- Extensions the 1979 album by The Manhattan Transfer
- Extension of universal health care.
extension in German: Extension
extension in Spanish: Extensión
extension in French: Extension
extension in Italian: Estensione
extension in Japanese: エクステンション
L, access, accession, accessory, accompaniment, accretion, accrual, accruement, accumulation, acreage, addenda, addendum, additament, addition, additive, additory, additum, adjunct, adjuvant, advance, affective meaning, aggrandizement, alternate, alternative school, ambit, ampliation, amplification, amplitude, annex, annexation, appanage, appendage, appendant, appendix, appreciation, appurtenance, appurtenant, area, arm, ascent, attachment, augment, augmentation, ballooning, bearing, bigness, blab school, bloating, block, boarding school, body, boom, boost, breadth, broadening, buildup, bulk, caliber, call box, capacity, central school, coda, coin telephone, coloring, coming after, compass, complement, comprehensiveness, concomitant, connotation, consecution, consecutiveness, consequence, consolidated school, continualness, continuance, continuation, continuation school, continuing, continuity, continuum, corollary, correspondence school, country day school, coverage, crescendo, dame school, day school, denotation, deployment, depth, descent, desk telephone, development, dial telephone, diameter, dimension, dimensions, dispersion, distance, distension, drawing out, drift, edema, effect, elevation, ell, elongation, emptiness, empty space, endurance, enlargement, essence, evening school, expanse, expansion, extensiveness, extent, extrapolation, fanning out, field, finishing school, fixture, flare, flood, following, force, free school, gain, galactic space, gauge, girth, gist, grammatical meaning, greatening, greatness, growth, gush, height, hike, hiking, idea, impact, implication, import, increase, increment, infinite space, infinity, inflation, informal school, intension, interstellar space, jump, largeness, leap, length, lengthening, lengthiness, lexical meaning, line, lineage, linear measures, lingering, literal meaning, logical sequence, long time, longitude, longness, magnification, magnitude, maintenance, mass, meaning, measure, measurement, mileage, mounting, mouthpiece, multiplication, night school, nongraded school, nothingness, offshoot, open classroom school, orbit, order, order of succession, outer space, overall length, overtone, pay station, pendant, pensionat, perpetuation, perpetuity, perseverance, persistence, pertinence, phone, pith, platoon school, point, posteriority, postposition, practical consequence, private school, procession, procrastination, production, productiveness, progress, progression, progressive school, proliferation, prolongation, proportion, proportions, protraction, public school, public telephone, purport, pursuance, purview, push-button telephone, radius, raise, raising, range, range of meaning, reach, real meaning, receiver, reference, referent, reinforcement, relation, relevance, repetition, rise, rotation, run, scale, school without walls, scope, semantic cluster, semantic field, sense, sequence, series, side effect, side issue, significance, signification, significatum, signifie, size, snowballing, space, span, span of meaning, spatial extension, special school, sphere, spirit, splay, spread, spreading, spreading out, staying power, storefront school, straight course, strain, street academy, stretch, stretching, stringing out, structural meaning, subjunction, substance, succession, successiveness, suffixation, sum, sum and substance, summer school, superficial extension, supplement, surface, surge, sustained action, sustenance, sweep, swelling, symbolic meaning, tailpiece, telephone, telephone booth, telephone engineering, telephone extension, telephone mechanics, telephone receiver, telephonics, telephony, tenor, tension, totality of associations, tract, transferred meaning, transmitter, tumescence, unadorned meaning, undergirding, undertone, uninterrupted course, union school, unremittingness, up, upping, upsurge, upswing, uptrend, upturn, vacation school, value, volume, wall telephone, waxing, way, widening, width, wing, yardage